Future Corpse

Cake, please.

04 May, 2006

That's MISTER Colbert to you, punk

I'm a huge Stephen Colbert fan, and enough of a pathetic nerd that I honestly couldn't wait to watch The White House Correspondents Dinner on C-Span. On a Saturday night. Alone. With a cat. Sigh.

My loserdom notwithstanding, I settled in and waited for the big guy to take the mic. I felt a sense of unease. Being an unabashed worshipper of anything Daily Show, the thought of one of my little Godlets turning in a bad performance at a high-falutin' event is painful. And with Bush in attendance, I wondered if Stephen would crack under the pressure and be the first of the bunch to show his mortality.

A quarter of the way in, I began to wonder if he had a death wish:


I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message: that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world.



Fucking hell!

I was bathed in the comforting glow of my own television set, and my stomach was in knots from tension. Yet Stephen was delivering barb after poisoned-tip barb directly to the Leader of the Free World in a very public setting, and there wasn't a single bead of sweat, nor the slightest tremor in his hands.

Even when he botched a set up, he took a moment, regrouped, and carried on. It was a masterful performance from someone who, it should be noted, has neither the reputation, nor the experience of other humourists or political satirists that could have been hired for this event.

It's amusing to see Bush sympathizers try to level the sting of his performance by making the accusation that he simply wasn't funny. Okay, fine. Some didn't think he was "funny". But funny is subjective and can't be argued.

What can be argued is whether or not Stephen's points hit their mark. And I have yet to see anyone in the Bush camp stepping up to claim they didn't.

There have been cries (no real tears, though - the big fakers) that it "went too far" and was "disrespectful" to the prez. To which I say, hey - these are serious fucking times we are living in! Thanks, in large part, to this current administration's behaviour, everyone is out for blood.

Stephen Colbert and his mighty, mighty balls of truth stepped into the ring and tossed a few jabs of his own. And he did himself, his show, the Jon Stewart legacy, and the people of this nation whose voices have been effectively stifled the past 4 years, very proud indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home